Friday, June 12, 2009

Lemon Poppyseed Scones (Gluten-free, of course!)
















It's been a while...
I'm not sure who concocted the interesting combination of lemon and poppyseed. Subtle citrus notes combine with a delicate crunch, all encompassed in a slightly sweet pastry. Who knew it would be so delectable? 

Each Friday at my job, one employee must bring in breakfast for all of the other employees. This is known as "creative breakfast," though many people see it as more of a chore rather than a delight. I have built up a reputation for bringing in an excellent breakfast, which poses issues when it is your 5th or 6th time. Each time, if I don't out-do the last time, I secretly feel as if I have let someone down - even if it is just myself. Well, this Friday, I didn't have much time so I decided I would make some simple, home-baked, gluten free pastries. I thought for a while and after exhausting a few options, I remembered giving my sister a scone recipe when she used to bring in breakfast for her coworkers. Then I immediately thought of lemon poppyseed scones, because, for a while, that was the only kind I liked. Thus the idea was born. Also, I had not ventured into making gluten free scones before, and I felt up to the challenge. Even more so, I decided I was going to make home-made gluten-free cinnamon rolls. These were a hit at breakfast, with no one even missing the gluten. I didn't have a chance to photograph these, but I'm thinking I might bake another batch sometime soon.

GLUTEN-FREE LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
MAKES 8 SCONES
  • 3 cups gluten-free flour (I used 1/4c. arrowroot starch, 3/4c. tapioca starch, 3/4c. potato starch, 1/4c. sorghum flour, 1/2c. bob's red mill all purpose gluten-free flour, and 1/2c. white rice flour)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 4 tsp lemon zest, plus 1tsp for glaze
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice + 2 tbsp. for glaze
  • 1/3 cup (or more) buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar for glaze

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 c. sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, xanthan gum, lemon zest, and salt with a whisk (by hand) in a large electric mixer bowl. Add butter and cut in using a pastry blender or two knives. Whisk egg and lemon juice in a medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Place bowl onto stand mixer and blend on low speed just until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 c. buttermilk, mixing just until the dough comes together, adding more buttermilk if the dough seems dry. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten into an 8-inch round and cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to a baking sheet. Brush with milk.

PREPARE GLAZE:
Mix powdered sugar, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. lemon zest in a small bowl. set aside.

Bake until scones are golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. Drizzle glaze over top of scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment